• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SilverBerch

My father-in-law, who has a large estate, is a Pennsylvania resident, but has been living in a nursing home in New York for the past 6 months. In his will, he leaves his estate to my husband and his sister. If my husband should predecease his father, would all the money go to his sister, or would I inherit his share, or would his half go to his two natural daughters? We live in New York, and his sister lives in Maine. My husband and his sister share POA for their father.
Thanks, SilverBerch

H

hannah jo

Typically the will itself addresses the issue of what happens to the assets whould one of the intended heirs pass away bfore the creator if the will. If nothing is stated specifically in the will as to what would happen, then the estate would eb distributed according to your state law, which you can check by reviewing your state's codes on wills. Typically, the estate will go to natural heirs, not in-laws.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">