• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Question- Mother stealing my inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdmalibu22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My father, a patent attorney, died 10 years ago (when I was 19 years old) with an estate valued at slightly over $5 million. He was survived by me, my younger brother, my alcoholic mother, and his daughter from his previous marriage (who happens to be a partner in a large Chicago lawfirm). The only will at the time of his death (which had actually been drafted before my birth) awarded the entire estate to my mother- despite the fact that he had always told us that his wealth was for all of us to live comfortably. Due to poor financial decisions and frivilous spending by my mother, the estate is now valued at roughly $2million.

His daughter from the previous marriage immediately sued my mother upon my father's passing in 2001 on the premise that (1) he had always indicated that she was to receive a quarter of the estate, and (2) that she believed that a more recent will had been drafted which divided the estate amongst her and my immediate family (my brother, mother, and myself). The updated will was never found, although she alleged it had been destroyed by my mother. She was ultimately successful in the lawsuit and was awarded 25% of the estate 10 years ago.

Having used less than 9% of the estate value to pay for my undergrad education and Northwestern's MBA program, my mother has made me feel that I should be happy for what I have received and not expect anything more. Although I am extremely happy for these opportunities, it is the principle of this whole thing that continues to anger me as I feel that his wishes were not honored. She originally maintained that she was protecting us from our litigious half sister, however since then she has elected to do million dollar remodels on her house, lend hudreds of thousands to charitable donations, etc. rather than allowing me to access any of the funds which my father, for instance, promised would be a down-payment for my first house as I'm about to get married. When my mother was on the verge of remarrying and using $75K to fly her fiance to their Lake Como wedding, she had promised me that she would honor my father's wishes and allow me to buy my first home with the money- and that she intended to pass the rest of the money on to me once she passed away. As her alcoholism has interfered with that relationship, and all others in her life, she now is alone and seems to have chosen to live out her life as a wealthy recluse and now has informed me she has no intention of letting me or my brother have any money while she remains alive. I'm really not sure whether the alcoholism has made her forget her promises over the years but she certainly feels entitled to. My father would roll over in his grave if she knew how she was spending it.

I'm not sure how estates are usually divided between surviving children and the spouse (especially an alcoholic one that the deceased was actually in the early stages of divorcing), but wanted to know whether my half-sister's successful lawsuit would be any premise for me filing a lawsuit for myself at this point, 10 years later. If not, I am really asking this forum for personal advice on whether I should be happy with what I have (and feel spoiled/guilty for wanting any more, as my mother tries to make me feel) or whether one would be able to continue to have a relationship with their mother after this- based on what is generally accepted in terms of the percentages of estates that are passed on to the children?

xylene

I think you need to see a lawyer, just on principle.

I doubt there is much you can do to reverse the wastage.

I think that your half sisters court case has an impact on your situation.

I think that you have some issues that go beyond the turbulent finances of a large estate. This drama is about the bottle.

Consider therapy with a professional who is experienced in helping the adult children of alcoholics.

mdmalibu22

Thanks Xylene! I'm actually in my 3rd week of therapy with an ALANON therapist- so great advice on your part. It's an interesting dynamic, and you are spot-on with your assessment of the impact of alcohol on this situation. I've done everything in my life to avoid needing that money at this point, however the older I get the more respect for the hard work that went into it and how detrimental it is to not honor the person's wishes who earned it.

I don't think any of us would ever want to take legal action against a family member, but once the bottle has control over someone- you are not just up against them anymore. Thanks for the contribution.

Would an attorney work on a success fee basis on this type of a case? I've never had to retain one.

xylene

Would an attorney work on a success fee basis on this type of a case? I've never had to retain one.
I think you should shop around.

I think that a lawyer referral service - like the reputable one advertising on this site - may help.

This is not personal injury law - so there may be some outlay of money.

nextwife

If no suit took place for the children to directly recieve a specific portion, then Mom inherited 75% of Dad's estate. Just like my mom inherited 100% of my dad's estate.

After that it became HERS to do with as she wished. I doubt you can NOW bring suit for a portion of a long ago settled estate. If the money was determined to be left to Mom, it's MOM's money.

Last edited:

xylene

After that it became HERS to do with as she wished. I doubt you can NOW bring suit for a portion of a long ago settled estate. If the money was determined to be left to Mom, it's MOM's money.
That position (surely Mom's position) would be a stronger line of argument if not for the sister's lawsuit that may have invalidated the will - which would mean that the 4way split was validated or the rules of intestacy would prevail.

The 10 years thing is a hurdle.

nextwife

Had Poster argued this AT THE TIME she may have been successful. The estate, however, was allowed to settle, a DECADE ago, and the Poster is now referring to Mom's inheritance as hers. Not so. If MOM did inherit it, and that is how the estate settled, Mom's money is just that, Mom's. As spouse, it's very likely that much of what was owned was held jointly anyway. It's entirely possible that much of what Mom now has would have passed outside probate.

anteater

She was ultimately successful in the lawsuit and was awarded 25% of the estate 10 years ago.
Are you saying that the suit actually was decided by a judge or jury?

Or that the daughter sued and your mother settled with her?

mdmalibu22

Anteater- The case between my half-sister and mother was settled, not decided by a jury. Just to clarify, she is my real mother, not adopted mother as previously stated by another poster.

I really appreciate the back and forth from everyone.

anteater

Anteater- The case between my half-sister and mother was settled, not decided by a jury. Just to clarify, she is my real mother, not adopted mother as previously stated by another poster.

I really appreciate the back and forth from everyone.
OK, I suspect that, if the issue had gone before the court to decide 10 years ago, the outcome would have been different for all involved, not just that daughter. (While it is difficult to form an opinion without knowing all the issues and arguments raised, it is difficult to see how the daughter could have prevailed.) Even if it had, I agree with nextwife that it is almost certainly too late to raise any issues now.

As it is, your mother made that daughter go away by giving her some of mother's money.

Dandy Don

During the time that probate was being done on your father's estate, were you at any time notified that you would be potentially receiving anything as a beneficiary in the estate?

When your mother paid for your college expenses, was that out of her own personal funds or did she indicate the money was coming from perhaps a trust fund that was set up for you?

You need to actually look at your father's probate file (and the files for any other lawsuits relating to it) to see what the will actually says to determine if you were an actual beneficiary and perhaps if there was a mention of a trust fund being set up for you or any other beneficiaries or not.

After you have found out the basics of the estate, then you can consult with a probate attorney to figure out if you have any options.

Please do not bother your mother anymore about this unless you or your attorney uncovers evidence that monies were being withheld from you. If you are lucky she will leave you something in her estate when she dies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">