• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance rights of biological child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsteklof

What is the name of your state? Idaho
My father and mother divorced and my stepfather adopted me at age 10. My biological father, who recognized me as his son, but never paid child support, died with no other children. He had no will and left behind a substantial sum of money. His mother and siblings say I have no rights since I was adopted by my stepfather. Is that true? Thank you.

fairisfair

"Generally, the court decree that finalizes the adoption ends the legal relationship between the biological parent (also referred to as the "birth" or "natural" parent throughout this document) and adopted child. There are, however, exceptions to this policy in some States. For example, Alaska and Idaho provide for a continuation of inheritance rights if stated in the adoption decree"

http://www.estateplanninglawfirms.com/Intestate-Inheritance.cfm

You need to read the adoption decree.

Dandy Don

How old are you now?

Ask your mother to check with the child support office to see if she has legal basis to file a claim against the estate for unpaid child support, IF a decree authorizing child support was ever issued. Even if you may not qualify as an heir, the claim for unpaid child support is almost certainly a sure thing. If the child support office won't help with advice, she should get her own attorney to pursue it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Idaho
My father and mother divorced and my stepfather adopted me at age 10. My biological father, who recognized me as his son, but never paid child support, died with no other children. He had no will and left behind a substantial sum of money. His mother and siblings say I have no rights since I was adopted by my stepfather. Is that true? Thank you.
Your mother and siblings are correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">