• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zonk1972

What is the name of your state? New Jersey and PA

We filed asbestos suit in 1990 for my father who died in 1989 of asbestos tumor. My mother had been collecting checks when they come in from the various asbestos companies coming out of bankruptcy. We lived in Philadelphia, PA when we first filed and paid inheritance tax in PA. My mother just received another check. She now lives in New Jersey. Do we still fall under the PA jurisdiction of paying inheritance tax in PA or do we now have to file in NJ, where we live? Also, someone in the PA inheritance tax office said we should not have paid any tax because my mother received the money. We should be entitiled to refund. But, we called a day later and someone else stated that we definitely had to pay. NOW I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED!!!

Dandy Don

You need to be talking specifically to a CPA or tax accountant in Pennsylvania to get your questions answered about whether you are eligible for a refund and even whether you were required to pay tax. Do not ask a state employee at the Pennsylvania Tax Office, since their primary motivation is to collect revenue and their opinion is not completely objective.

Sometimes lawsuit settlements are income-tax free and that is why you need to talk with someone who is familiar with your state's tax law. After you get the opinion from Pennsylvania, you may also need to consult with a New Jersey CPA or tax accountant to find out what the rules are for NJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">