• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Tax on House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAA128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

There's a possibility we will be inheriting my husband's grandfather's house when he passes. I've been told that the grandparent/child relation isn't or may not be subject to inheritance tax. Is this correct?

If not, does the tax come "off the top" automatically? What happens if you can't pay the inheritance tax or get a loan to cover it?

Last edited:

anteater

There's a possibility we will be inheriting my husband's grandfather's house when he passes. I've been told that the grandparent/child relation isn't or may not be subject to inheritance tax. Is this correct?
No, the rate for transfers to lineal descendants is 4.5%.

If not, does the tax come "off the top" automatically? What happens if you can't pay the inheritance tax or get a loan to cover it?
Not sure what you mean by "'off the top' automatically." There are too many "ifs" to speculate. For example, grandfather's will could specify how any inheritance tax is paid - whether it comes from general funds in the probate estate or whether it should apportioned among those inheriting property or ...

AAA128

By "off the top" I mean will they figure out the taxes owed based on the entire worth of the estate's assets, then subtract that amount from the monetary assets left to go straight to the state.

But it looks like you're saying it's up to my husband's grandfather, and would have to be in the will, whether that's how it happens, or if everyone is responsible for their "share" of the tax?

anteater

By "off the top" I mean will they figure out the taxes owed based on the entire worth of the estate's assets, then subtract that amount from the monetary assets left to go straight to the state.

But it looks like you're saying it's up to my husband's grandfather, and would have to be in the will, whether that's how it happens, or if everyone is responsible for their "share" of the tax?
Generally, the usual method is that the probate estate's personal representative calculates the tax, pays it from the probate estate's liquid assets, and then apportions it by how much each of the beneficiaries are to receive in determining the final distribution. But there are many variations on that depending upon the provisions of the will and all the circumstances.

Unless grandfather is very close to passing away, I am suggesting that it is premature to begin worrying about inheritance tax. Too much can happen between now and when he does pass away.

AAA128

How much is the house worth? How soon will grandpa be passing?
The house is worth around 160k and we don't know. He was given 6 months 5 years ago, has pretty uncontrolled diabetes, and a whole other host of health issues, such as colon cancer, weight issues, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">