• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited money--executor not doing anything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

en passant

What is the name of your state? PA
I was informed nearly two years ago that I had inherited $2000 from a neighbor. The executor of the will has apparently taken no action to distribute or dispose of the estate.
Is there a limit to the time he can take?
Is it his responsibility to contact me?
What action, if any, should I take?

anteater

How were you informed of this?

You can begin by visiting the county courthouse - the Orphan's Court in PA - to see if an estate has been opened and to review the probate file if it has. Then, you can decide whether taking any action is worthwhile.

en passant

I received a letter from the decedent's attorney entitled "Notice to Beneficiaries and Intestate Heirs". The letter stated that the decedent had died Testate, and that the will had been filed with the Office of the Register of Wills in Washington County, PA. I also received a copy of the will.

I know nothing about Probate. Does the creation of a probate file require some action by the executor of the will? If so, can he simply not do it?

I apologize for the additional questions. Your reply is much appreciated, as will be any additional info. Thanks

anteater

Well, apparently some action has been taken. At the very least, the will was presented to the Register of Wills office. The probate file would begin with that.

While the estate attorney has no obligation to communicate with you directly, you might try giving him/her a call. Sometimes, estate attorneys will fill you in; sometimes not.

Keep in mind that being named as a beneficiary in the will does not guarantee receiving the bequest. The deceased neighbor might have had significant debt that needed to be paid by the estate.

Dandy Don

Your first step will be to look at the financial documents in the probate file and it will answer most of your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">