• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheriting a Timeshare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michi455

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My motherinlaw and husband were co-owners on a time share in Vegas. Both of their names are on the title. My husband and mothinlaw died within a week of each other. In my husband's will I get all his assets (including the timeshare). In my motherinlaws will I am supposed to split her assets with her grandchildren. Who would get the timeshare?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My motherinlaw and husband were co-owners on a time share in Vegas. Both of their names are on the title. My husband and mothinlaw died within a week of each other. In my husband's will I get all his assets (including the timeshare). In my motherinlaws will I am supposed to split her assets with her grandchildren. Who would get the timeshare?
If they owned the timeshare as joint tenants with right of survivorship, and mom died first, you own 100%.

Otherwise, you'll be sharing it with her grandchildren, the percentage of ownership depending on the cotenants form of ownership, who died first, and mom's will.

michi455

My motherinlaw died one week AFTER my husband. His name was on alot of her funds, bank stuff, etc. and timeshare as part owner. I guess this means I have to share everything with all the grandchildren. As I said according to his will I get all his assets and according to her will he gets all her assets but if he predeceases her, which he did, then I get it along with her grandkids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">