• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheriting a vehicle from Oregon but selling in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edwardw818

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon to California

Hi Everyone:

I have inherited my dad's '05 Dodge Dakota after he passed away on June 15, and I have consulted both CA and OR DMV... With not enough assets to require probate, the first step was to file a notarized Oregon Affidavit of Inheritance, a title registration form and his death certificate and they'll mail me an Oregon title. Those were the instructions I was going to follow exactly since I was originally a bit sentimental and wanted to keep it and register it in California and the truck is now in here in my driveway, but reality kicked in with bad gas mileage and insufficient rear legroom (especially since I frequently have to transport more than 2 people) have now got me thinking VERY seriously about selling it or trading it in.

With that, if I need to sell it to someone here, do I:

A. Sign over the original Oregon title and let the new owner handle/figure out the rest,

B. To transfer a title to CA, I need to have it inspected and smogged. Let CA DMV perform the inspection and take it to get it smogged then try to sell it with the Oregon pink slip,

C. Transfer it to CA title in my name then sell it once I receive the pink slip in the mail (and if so, do I still qualify for tax / fee exemptions since I inherited the car but is transferred to my name in Oregon... I don't want to put any more money into this),

D. Haul back up to Oregon and try to sell it there and catch the Greyhound back (OMG I hope I don't have to do that), or

E. Something else?

Oh and if it helps (or even if someone is interested haha)... It's an '05 Dodge Dakota SLT, 90,100 miles, tags expire 11/2013, originally in Molalla, Clackamas Co., OR and now in Diamond Bar, Los Angeles Co., CA.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California law requires you to have the vehicle registered in CA in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">