• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insolvent estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluegill

Tennessee
My mother passed away last week. Me and my two sisters were named coexecutors. House has a mortgage of around 60,000. We agreed to use insurance to pay off mortgage, which is 75,000. Sisters do not want to sell the house. I have agreed.They want to split property and eventually pay me off. My question is any debts that exceed the funds that we have, will we be responsible for since we didn't sell the house?

bluegill

A

advisor10

JULY 18, 2001

DEAR BLUEGILL:

As executors you will be responsible for using estate assets to pay for any outstanding bills, but you can not be held personally responsible (in other words, you wouldn't have to pay these debts out of your own personal funds).

Did your mother have any other assets (bank accounts, pension benefits, CD's, etc.) besides the house? If she did, then use that to pay future bills. If she doesn't, then the estate can be considered bankrupt or insolvent and the bills will remain unpaid.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">