• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance settlements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grlfrmmo99

What is the name of your state? missouri
my sons father killed himself in may 2003 and he left behind a very large insurance settlement but when the settlement was put into affect he was only 13. Since he has fathered 2 childern. His mother is the benificary and has spoke to a lawer who informed her that since it was set up to be paid out in annuity form that it must continue to be paid that way. My son can not collect social security and i have absoultly no help in raising my son. Is there a way i can obtain the remainder of the money for the support of my son and if so how?

thank you for your help,
desprate for help

Dandy Don

Were you ever legally married to this man and were you ever divorced from him or are you the surviving widow?

How much was the insurance settlement for?

Did this man have any other assets in his estate? Did he leave a last will and testament and was it probated in court? I am guessing that he did not. Have you checked at the county courthouse probate court to see if anyone filed to be administrator of his estate?

Have you asked his mother to help you out financially with the support of these children--what does she say about that?

Since she was officially named as beneficiary, the money is hers to spend however she sees fit and there is no chance that you could get any of it. However, if there are other assets in his estate then you could file a claim against the estate for your children's share of the estate since they are legal heirs.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

nextwife

WHY would your minor child have no rights to SS survivors benefits? Was there never a legal establishment of paternity?

G

grlfrmmo99

my son is unable to get ss because his father worked construction and didn't pay into ss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">