• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Gambling in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vkuck

There are a few web sites out there, that challenge you to pick the winners of football. Its a skill game that awards prizes for the highest total of wins. I've noticed on one particular site it says, " not legal in Florida or Quebec." Why?

ALawyer

Florida has very rigid laws that, while designed to preven fraud by sweepstakes sponsors, require all sponsors, if the total prizes exceed $5000, to go thru so many hoops and bear relatively heavy expenses that many sponsors say "heck with that" and just exclude Florida residents.

For example, I gather the FreeAdvice.com Washington DC trip sweepstakes is under $5000 to avoid having to spend a few thousand dollars in legal fees to satisfy Florida. That's Florida's government protecting its citizens - NOT.

I assume that the sponsors of the contest you refer to say the same thing with Quebec because of its French Language laws.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

[This message has been edited by ALawyer (edited October 19, 2000).]

V

vkuck

Where or how can I find out all the rules, regulations, and laws pertaining to internet "contest" sites? I really haven't been able to get a definite answer from anyone or anything. I even went by the law library at Nova Law School in Florida but they were very vague. And by the way, thanks for the prvious reply.

[This message has been edited by vkuck (edited October 20, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">