• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate Wills - New York to Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curn

My wife and I had a will and living will prepared by an attorney in New York State while we resided there. We have since moved to Florida, and someone told us our New York Will was not legal in Florida, and that we would have to have a new one drawn up by an attorney in Florida. Is this true? I don't believe it is, but we feel we better check.

A

advisor10

JULY 23, 2001

DEAR CURN:

Yes, you will need to have a new will prepared in Florida, since it is the probate law of the state where the DEATH occurs that takes priority, and each state's law is different.

Fortunately, since most of the work has already been done, your lawyer will probably charge no more than $300-$500 to draft the revised document and will appreciate the fact that you have already specified your wishes.

This is a small price to pay to insure that your financial affairs will be handled exactly as you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">