• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intestate inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Persians

Intestate inheritance

Dear Forum attorney;
My husband died in 10/83, and had one minor child with us. We owned all jointly, no house however. He was military living in NC, from RI.............. I since cannot find his will. Now the
question is, he had been married 1 time before, and the
child born before his marriage to the mother, was adopted by another couple even though he admitted paternity.You see, my late husband's wife had been abusive, he was away in the military, but the adoption of this child went forth. He could not prevent it. All parental rights were terminated.
After his death, I remained in NC, there are new
federal funds to his estate which has been opened in NC, and
I question whether this adopted child has any inheritance
right as the child did not receive any support, my late
husband's rights had been terminated by the court back then,
and the child's name had been changed as well, and she had been adopted. Attorneys I speak to say No, the estate department here says No. There has never been any contact towards me in all these years, but this child received some military benefit money which should not have occurred since it is federal and they are looking into it. The child lives in RI. Give me your thoughts, please?? Thank you! Persians.

[Edited by Persians on 07-05-2001 at 09:03 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">