• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inventory of personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maril

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am executrix of an estate and have to do an inventory of her personal household property. Not sure where to begin? and should I take pictures of everything?

Last edited:

maril

Does the inventory of the personal property for an estate have to be precise? I took pictures as back up because family members have been removing items from the home. Is this legal? Heck if I know.:confused:

lwpat

Have you filed in probate court and received an appointment as executor form the court? Until you do this you have no legal standing. Once you have done this it is your responsibility to take possession of all the assets of the estate and to pay all of the bills from those assets. Anything left over is to be distributed in accordance with the will or state law. The clerk at the probate court can provide you with information that will answer most of your questions.

Family members should not be allowed to remove anything until the estate is settled. Call a locksmith and have the locks changed.

maril

Yes I have filed in a court and have my papers. I am trying to take possession of the estate but the 2 fighting 50 year old kids don't seem to realize it. The will reads that everything is willed to me to hold in trust to support the son until he is 67 years old. The daughter was cut out so she has been badgering the son to give up assets in the house. If she takes something home and finds out its not worth much she brings it back and gets something else. The son acts like he is aftaid of her but has a fit when she leaves. The attorney told me it was alright for the son to give his sister some things but was not clear as to what kind of things. I am worried these old kids are going to get me in trouble in trouble with the court.:eek:

lwpat

Have your attorney write a letter to everyone involved explaining your legal responsibility and advising them not to remove anything or dispose of any assets. Good luck because you are going to need it!

maril

Thanks for your reply. And you are right. I am going to need a lot of luck. If I make it through probate and get the trust set up I am hoping to turn it over to someone to manage and I can just oversee it. As old as I am I may not live until the son is 67. Any suggestions?:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">