• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRA beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squirrel48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My two siblings and I are inheriting our father's IRA. I now have to fill out forms stating beneficiaries, which is bringing up some questions.

If I name my spouse as primary beneficiary of this IRA and our two sons as contingent beneficiaries, and then I die, and then he remarries, how can I make sure my sons remain beneficiaries?

Does this IRA become community property?

In other words, I don't want this IRA I'm inheriting from my dad to end up supporting her children rather than mine!

Thanks for any advice.

tranquility

If I name my spouse as primary beneficiary of this IRA and our two sons as contingent beneficiaries, and then I die, and then he remarries, how can I make sure my sons remain beneficiaries?
You cannot through this method. A trust would be more appropriate for this goal.

Does this IRA become community property?
The naming of a beneficiary has no relationship to if the asset is community or seperate.

In other words, I don't want this IRA I'm inheriting from my dad to end up supporting her children rather than mine!
See an attorney. This is not hard, but you have to be careful to be sure of your goals and what you are willing to "pay" to achieve it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">