• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRA beneficiary designation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FBN2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My father named his Massachusetts nominee trust as beneficiary of his IRA. The beneficial interest of the nominee trust is another trust (trust A). Trust A names my brother and I as beneficiaries. Can we do a stretch IRA under this scenario. It seems to me that Trust A should have been named directly. All of his assets were titled in the name of the nominee trust which I am in the process of re-titling to Trust A with a new tax ID number.

tranquility

The rules are quite complex regarding the naming of a trust as an IRA beneficiary. Even before talking about what can be done, it would need to be known if the trust(s) are "qualified" trusts and if distributions have been started. You need to see a tax professional to determine the best course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">