• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

irrevocable trus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmrothen

My father would like to set up an irrevocable trust and received two conflicting opinions from 2 lawyers. He lives in New York City and has already exhausted the one time $675,000 lifetime exemption from gift taxes. He would like to put about $250,000 of stocks into this trust where his children would be the beneficiaries.

One attorney is saying that the $250,000 of stocks would be subject to the gift tax and when my father dies the basis of the capital assets would be the original price of the stocks.

Another attorney states that in New York, an irrevocable family trust can be amended if the grantor and the beneficiaries of the trust agree to the amendment. He states that if my father retains the power to change the interests of the remainder beneficiaries, the transfer of assets to the irrevocable trust is an uncompleted gift and would not be included on the gift tax return. Only upon the death of my father is the gift completed and at this point would be treated as an inheritance and the basis of the capital assets would be stepped-up to the fair market value as of the date of death.

Who is right?

L

loku

Irrevocable trust

The second attorney is correct, the transfer of assets to an irrevocable trust is an uncompleted gift and no gift tax is due. He is also correct about the assets becoming part of the taxable estate at death and would pass then with the stepped-up basis. The only thing I would disagree with is that the trust could be amended at any time at the option of the grantor. The beneficiaries have no say in that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">