• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Irrrevocable Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curb1

Yes. It becomes more sticky when a person is trustee and the only beneficiary. Why do you ask the question? Any more information?

b .mccann

The IT has 3 beneficiaries. One is both trustee and beneficiary. My concern was that this person is precluded from the benefits because of their role as trustee. One other question: Can beneficiaries be designated in any way the grantor chooses without restriction as to "per stripes" or "per capita"? (If they are outside the "blood" family.)

curb1

1) You said, "My concern was that this person is precluded from the benefits because of their role as trustee." Your concerns are not valid. The trust documents will lay out the direction of the trustee. The trustee cannot "shoot from the hip" just because s/he is the trustee. It is very common for a trustee to be one of the beneficiaries. The key is for the other beneficiaries to stay in touch with the process.

2) You asked, "Can beneficiaries be designated in any way the grantor chooses without restriction as to "per stripes" or "per capita"? (If they are outside the "blood" family.)"

Yes.

tranquility

My concern was that this person is precluded from the benefits because of their role as trustee.
No. But, you need your attorney to describe things to you. If the trustee has unfettered discretion to give money, creditors can get at all a beneficiary can get at.

Can beneficiaries be designated in any way the grantor chooses without restriction as to "per stripes" or "per capita"? (If they are outside the "blood" family.)
The trust can give any benefit it wants.

It seems the OP is planning on writing up his own trust. I suggest an attorney. A trust changes things and the OP does not seem to understand basic ramifications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">