• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

it isnt in the will but i want it!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmjt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mass
my sister had a will, and she and herhusband owned a house . in the will i got our dad's wedding ring . the widower "didnt have a problem with that" so i took it while she was still able to give it to me. but now , i want her barrettes, her kitchen magnets, her wall calendar, her bathroom towel..stuff not in any will, but i want it. her husband wont let me in the house to get anything. it's tearing me apart. can i sue him in small claims court for pain and suffering, or do a mediation. i live in maine,but the location is massachusetts.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mass
my sister had a will, and she and herhusband owned a house . in the will i got our dad's wedding ring . the widower "didnt have a problem with that" so i took it while she was still able to give it to me. but now , i want her barrettes, her kitchen magnets, her wall calendar, her bathroom towel..stuff not in any will, but i want it. her husband wont let me in the house to get anything. it's tearing me apart. can i sue him in small claims court for pain and suffering, or do a mediation. i live in maine,but the location is massachusetts.
what makes you think you have a claim to any of the items. Most of them are houselhold items and the surviving spouse would have claim to them as a co-owner. Some of the items became part of the estate but unless they were specifically willed to you, you have no claim to them. You may be able to negotiate a trade off or purchase of items for other items of value left to you but other than that, they are not yours.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The answer hasn't changed since the thread you posted earlier today. They are not your sister's things anymore. They belong to her husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">