• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint accounts being hidden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
We now have another issue.
One sibling I believe had a large bank account with the decedent. She says no. I am sure she cashed it out as soon as he passed. There are no bank records in the house for it.
There are about 1000 banks in our county.
How can we find it and what happens if it is not reported on the tax forms(706). I understand that it is not probate-able but the value would be considered part of the taxable estate.
What are the penalties for omitting something?
Is it's value still part of the estate if it was cashed out prior to his passing?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

A joint account with survivorship rights isn't part of the estate. She's under no obligation to disclose nor do you have any reason to know about it.

anteater

EDIT: A great big "Ooops" and apology. I had Virginia on my mind and entered the VA statutes below.

§ 6.2-608. Right of survivorship.

A. Sums remaining on deposit at the death of a party to a joint account belong to the surviving party as against the estate of the decedent unless there is clear and convincing evidence of a different intention at the time the account is created. If there are two or more surviving parties, their respective ownerships during their lifetime shall be in proportion to their previous ownership interests under § 6.2-606 augmented by an equal share for each survivor of any interest the decedent may have owned in the account immediately before his death; and the right of survivorship continues between the surviving parties.

§ 6.2-613. Payment of sums in joint account.

Any sums in a joint account may be paid, on request, to any party without regard to whether any other party is incapacitated or deceased at the time the payment is demanded. Payment may not be made to the personal representative or heirs of a deceased party under the Virginia Small Estate Act (§ 64.1-132.1 et seq.) unless (i) proof of death is presented to the financial institution showing that the decedent was the last surviving party or (ii) there is no right of survivorship under § 6.2-608.

Last edited:

steffb503

Now I am really confused. The instructions for the long form says

Instructions for Schedule E—Jointly Owned
Property
If you are required to file Form 706, you must complete
Schedule E and file it with the return if the decedent
owned any joint property at the time of death, whether
or not the decedent’s interest is includible in the gross
estate.
Enter on this schedule all property of whatever kind
or character, whether real estate, personal property, or
bank accounts, in which the decedent held at the time
of death an interest either as a joint tenant with right to
survivorship or as a tenant by the entirety.

anteater

An asset may be included in the gross estate, subject to estate/inheritance taxes, even if it is not part of the probate estate.

steffb503

I kinda knew that my question was what are the consequences if the executor does not include those accounts simply because we do not know where there are or if they exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">