• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenancy ROS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adreamgenie

What is the name of your state? SC

:eek:

I purchased a home with my now ex boyfriend 3 years ago. I made the 90K down payment and all expenses related to the home since its purchase. His lack of commitment financially and otherwise resulted in the obvious end of a "so called" relationship. He left many months ago.

I recently learned that my ex boyfriend sold his half interest of our home to his estate planner and repurchased the same for $1.00 in order to nullify the JTROS previously agreed upon in order to leave his half interest to his children from a previous marriage. He has become ill and found it necessary to make decisions about his estate.

Unfortunately for me, his estate is essentially one half my home! I can only assume what he did was legal. However, do I have any recourse?

nextwife

And how much did you invest in the home that you now own half of?

If he put $90,000 down, you already have made $45,000 from him for your half interest. Why shouldn't his children be entitled to the other half interest? Offer to buy HIM out if you don't want him to be co-owner with you.

adreamgenie

Jtros

You have misread my post. I made the 90K down payment and all mortgage payments, etc., since its purchase. His investment is $0.00 (zero). It is for that reason that I believe that his heirs are not entitled to his half as it was agreed upon that the deed would read JTROS.

justalayman

Part of me has sympathy for you whle the other part is asking: since you two have disolved your relationship, why should it be so odd that the joint tenancy was dissolved as well?

Presumably you have learned the lesson of: do not buy anything jointly until you are married. It is such a PITA if you never get married to the partner.

Nextwifes suggestion is good or you could offer to sell your half to the ex.

Morbid curiosity makes me ask; in whose name is the mortgage?

adreamgenie

Jtros

The mortgage is held in both our names. I did offer to buy him out, however he refused as he does not desire to cut all ties. Lesson learned is clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">