• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is just awful.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

It gets worse

At my mother's cemetery they don't inter people until the ground thaws. After the service the funeral director called my sister and me over to sign a contract assigning the benefits of a Knights of Columbus insurance policy to the funeral home. I said I had cashed it in. My sister said that it was good because it made things easy. I asked for my contract back and my sister said something about it's moms funeral. I don't mean to be cheesy but I was caught off guard. So I shoved it back. Problem is Knights of Columbus was an annuity not insurance. My Knights of Columbus agent said he knows of no policy. Now I wanted my mother to have a nice funeral but I have two other sisters. The sister in question is the one I described as a competent business owner owes the IRS 75 grand but my older sister is extremely well off. Can I revoke the paper I signed as it was not signed at the persons place of business? I am willing to pay a third but this money has to last the rest of my life should I get a lawyer?

latigo

At my mother's cemetery they don't inter people until the ground thaws. After the service the funeral director called my sister and me over to sign a contract assigning the benefits of a Knights of Columbus insurance policy to the funeral home. I said I had cashed it in. My sister said that it was good because it made things easy. I asked for my contract back and my sister said something about it's moms funeral. I don't mean to be cheesy but I was caught off guard. So I shoved it back. Problem is Knights of Columbus was an annuity not insurance. My Knights of Columbus agent said he knows of no policy. Now I wanted my mother to have a nice funeral but I have two other sisters. The sister in question is the one I described as a competent business owner owes the IRS 75 grand but my older sister is extremely well off. Can I revoke the paper I signed as it was not signed at the persons place of business? I am willing to pay a third but this money has to last the rest of my life should I get a lawyer?
I think it is a bully idea that you "get a lawyer"! Preferably a very expensive lawyer.

Then you and the lawyer can continue beating a dead horse elsewhere.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There's always... "cremation".

Must you have an expensive funeral, if you can't afford it? Will your mother notice?

Are you sure she made no preparations, prepaid anything, even though it was obvious she was declining?

I'd put it more gently than latigo... Unless the amount of money we're talking about exceeds the legal costs of potentially getting said money, it's not worth it, especially when the "potential" of getting said money is small.

NellieBly

My sisters made all the arrangements. My mother had insurAnce but cashed it in most likely to spend on other people, presumably those nasty grandchildren . She always said my oldest sister promised to pay for it. She bought a cemetery plot in 1970. I have insurance so I can be planted

commentator

My sisters made all the arrangements. My mother had insurAnce but cashed it in most likely to spend on other people, presumably those nasty grandchildren . She always said my oldest sister promised to pay for it. She bought a cemetery plot in 1970. I have insurance so I can be planted
Nellie, I believe you just got took. You were in that unique place in your family dynamic where they (including your momma) expected you to do the right thing though no one else did, and then they gave all the rewards to everyone equally, and you need to let this go. Your momma talked a good game but she didn't really have the guts to disinherit anybody, didn't want to write that will that would've given you and your family members the fair settlement. So let it go, realize that the intestacy laws are what will prevail and let this go and move on with your life. Best wishes to you, it sounds like you have such convoluted family relationships and messes that like me, you should work on your own issues, and quit trying to make this one come out "fair." give Aurora the thief and all the other nieces and nephews what they have legally coming to them, let it go, and move on. Make sure YOUR affairs are in better order when you go and in the meantime, try to live a good and happy life without worrying about this issue of what happened when your mother died.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">