• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just got married changed name...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazzyt2u

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just got married and changed my last name to his. Some of my family members in California and other states: Delaware and Illinois have me as a beneficiary. Do they have to change my name on their forms? If so, they need to include him on the form?

Thanks
Jazzyt2u

anteater

Some of my family members in California and other states: Delaware and Illinois have me as a beneficiary. Do they have to change my name on their forms?
They would not have to. You might have to provide some additional documentation to claim any assets.

If so, they need to include him on the form?
No.

Farfalla

.... If so, they need to include him on the form?
I get the impression that you don't know this, so.... when a spouse receives an inheritance it is that spouse’s sole property. As long as you do not mix it with marital assets it remains yours and your spouse has no claim to it. For example if you inherit $100,000 and open an account only in your name only for it, it is your sole property. However if you deposit it in a joint account that you have with your husband it is no longer sole property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">