• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wants to know

What is the name of your state? New York. My Father passed away in Nov. He was the only surviving parent. My four siblings and I are all named in the will. For 36 years I have lived next to him on a parcel of land owned by him but with a different deed from his own that I paid the property and school taxes on and did the upkeep in exchange for living there. The taxes are in my Mother and Father`s name.The house and garage are mine. In his will he stated that I am to get the land on which my house is located. The land was previously owned by his Father in-law who in his will left it to his wife and daughter who was my Mother but there was never a new deed transferring this property to my Mother and therefore never a new deed from my Mother to my Mother and Father. I had an abstract done and the last deed on record showed my Grandfather as the owner when he died and my Grandmother and Mother as his heirs. When my Mother passed away (without a will) my Father inherited everything. So who does this parcel of land really belong to? Is it mine through inheritance or not? My siblings are questioning it.

BelizeBreeze

wants to know said:
What is the name of your state? New York. My Father passed away in Nov. He was the only surviving parent. My four siblings and I are all named in the will. For 36 years I have lived next to him on a parcel of land owned by him but with a different deed from his own that I paid the property and school taxes on and did the upkeep in exchange for living there. The taxes are in my Mother and Father`s name.The house and garage are mine. In his will he stated that I am to get the land on which my house is located. The land was previously owned by his Father in-law who in his will left it to his wife and daughter who was my Mother but there was never a new deed transferring this property to my Mother and therefore never a new deed from my Mother to my Mother and Father. I had an abstract done and the last deed on record showed my Grandfather as the owner when he died and my Grandmother and Mother as his heirs. When my Mother passed away (without a will) my Father inherited everything. So who does this parcel of land really belong to? Is it mine through inheritance or not? My siblings are questioning it.
Your siblings should be questioning this since there is no clear path to title of the land. You need a probate attorney to unravel this mess. And NOW.

wants to know

Don`t know what you mean by no clear path. My grandmother and mother inherited it when my grandfather passed. States that right on my grandfather`s deed. When my grandmother passed it went to my mother. When my mother passed it went to my father. The last deed was in my grandfather`s name. The deed just wasn`t updated after their passing according to the abstract that was done.
deed in grandfather`s name>
grandfather dies>
grandmother and mother die>
father dies
Wouldn`t this property be owned through each generation by inheritance?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

wants to know said:
Don`t know what you mean by no clear path. My grandmother and mother inherited it when my grandfather passed. States that right on my grandfather`s deed. When my grandmother passed it went to my mother. When my mother passed it went to my father. The last deed was in my grandfather`s name. The deed just wasn`t updated after their passing according to the abstract that was done.
deed in grandfather`s name>
grandfather dies>
grandmother and mother die>
father dies
Wouldn`t this property be owned through each generation by inheritance?
And of course each progression of the above died with a will with which the property was legally probated and awarded accordingly right?

THAT is what I meant by no clear path. Regardless of what transpired when all parties died, if your mother died without a will the father would have inherited ONLY 50% plus a child's share of the estate (including the property) under your state's intestate succession statutes.

Now, how many of these people died with a will, what was the contents of the wills and how many beneficiaries were there in each progressive step?

get the point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">