• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Laws are greedy in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

Young Widower

My wife died with no will 2 years ago. We were married only a short time. (3 yrs.) My wife didn't think to change the life insurance policies or bank IRA's to me as beneficiary. My mother in law has allready broken many promises to me. She walked off with the insurance money and now there is a IRA in the bank with her named as beneificiary. As her spouce, I was intitle to all other retirement funds but i can not get a clear answer as to weather this ine is solely mine ir not. My lawyer. seems to be giving me an unclear picture as to what my rights are in this case. HELP!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Young Widower:
My wife died with no will 2 years ago. We were married only a short time. (3 yrs.) My wife didn't think to change the life insurance policies or bank IRA's to me as beneficiary. My mother in law has allready broken many promises to me. She walked off with the insurance money and now there is a IRA in the bank with her named as beneificiary. As her spouce, I was intitle to all other retirement funds but i can not get a clear answer as to weather this ine is solely mine ir not. My lawyer. seems to be giving me an unclear picture as to what my rights are in this case. HELP! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The insurance company and the Bank have no choice but to turn over all monies to the named beneficiary. If you make a claim on the monies still undivided, but are in the name of your mother-in-law as beneficiary, then the Bank, or other institution, will "interplead" all such monies into a locked fund with the court, and let the parties (you and whomever was named as beneficiary) battle it out in court. Only when the issues have been fully decided, will the court then order that the funds be released to the prevailing party or parties.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">