• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving children out of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

Can a person leave their children out of their will? If you don't have a close relationship and the children are well into adulthood, are you obligated to leave them anything?

nextwife

Of course you can. You need to make certain you correctly disinherit, but a party with a propertly drafted will can leave their entire estate to charity, for example, if they wish and there are not minor children in need of support. My dad (with whom we were all close) left 100% of his estate to our mom, I did NOT think twice about him doing so . My aunts and uncles all left their estates only to their surviving spouses.

BelizeBreeze

nextwife said:
Of course you can. You need to make certain you correctly disinherit, but a party with a propertly drafted will can leave their entire estate to charity, for example, if they wish ...
Or their cat :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">