• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving home to one sibling until death or sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xzd8p3

State - Michigan
I am one of four siblings. Upon his death, my father wants to leave his house to my sister until she dies or sells the house. At that time, he wants the proceeds to be split evenly between the four siblings (or our beneficiaries, if my sister outlives any of us). I am wondering how this can be accomplished? Is this a 'quit claim'?
To complicate things, my sister is married but not happy in her marriage. Basically, she is planning to leave (and divorce) her husband after my father passes. How will this affect any divorce settlement? None of us want this to positively impact my brother-in-law. What if he charms her into allowing him to move into the house? Does he have any claim to the home?
Advice is appreciated.

nextwife

He needs to consult an attorney. He may want to leave her a life estate in the property (to live there until her death) but leave the property in a trust for all of you. A potential divorce on that sister's part should be discussed and the property protected for her future. He should really see an estate planning attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">