• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving people out of the will.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anteater

I suspect that any claim by parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, or cousins that they were unintentionally overlooked in your will would be met by the court with a high degree of skepticism.

However, if you want to be ultrasafe, you can certainly exclude people by name. But, a provision in your will along these lines should be sufficient:

The omission in this will of any provision for any other person or relative is not due to oversight or neglect, but is based upon my desire to benefit only the beneficiaries designated herein.

Dandy Don

So exactly who will be inheriting? The only persons you are obligated to mention are your wife and children.

tranquility

I don't think it is very terrifying to be disinherited if I challenge the will if I am already disinherited, n'est pas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">