• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left 1 dollar, fathers realestate in probate can I contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

garber

What is the name of your state? Michigan My father left me a dollar, and the rest of the estate to my 3 siblings. However he did not sign the real estate over to them, the deed is still in his name and is now going to probate. Can I contest the will , since the property is now in probate? Can I fight to receive one fourth of the value of the real estate? Would it be worth it?

Last edited:

nextwife

First, how was the property titled? Was it in his name, with a joint tenant, in a trust? Second, was the real estate NOT addressed in the will?

Dandy Don

Would not be worth it to contest. The dollar is all that you are going to get. You have no legal grounds for a contest, and the fact that he left you only a dollar is a commonly known tactic to disinherit beneficiaries that for some reason fell out of disfavor with the decedent.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Dandy Don is correct. Spend your dollar wisely, and for heaven's sake, don't spend it all in one place!

As a sidenote, I dig Dandy's use of the word "gonig".

IAAL

G

garber

I was told by a lawyer that if the real estate property was going to probate that I could contest the will since the deed was never changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">