• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left car in Will. How to transfer title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobnter

My Husband died in March. His Will named me his Executrix. Also everything he had was left to me.
My problem is his paid for car is in HIS name only. How do I get the title (which I have in my possession) changed to my name?

I live in NJ.

Thanks for any help.

Terri

anteater

A quick review of the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission site indicates that you will have to probate the will.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/TransferringVehicle.htm

Transfer of title upon death of owner
A vehicle registered in the name of a decedent may be operated for 30 days after the date of death. All transfers need to be completed at an MVC Agency. You cannot process them through the mail.

If the title is in both the husband and wife’s name:
Submit the old title, a copy of the death certificate and a notarized affidavit of surviving spouse (BA-62, Affidavit of Surviving Spouse)
Pay $60 title fee (the existing registration can be transferred for an additional $4.50)

If the vehicle was left in a will:
Submit the old title properly assigned by the executor of the estate and a Surrogate's Short Certificate
Pay $60 title fee (the existing registration can be transferred to an immediate member of the family for $4.50)

FlyingRon

Yeah, one of my college buddies was elected surrogate up in one of the central NJ counties. I had to call him up and ask just what that meant...it wasn't as glamorous as I thought it would be. If you don't have the surrogates cert, you're not the the executrix officially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">