• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Responsibilities of Step-Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crystal4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am a step-mother of a daughter from my husband's previous marriage. My husband and I also have two children together. Since our marriage, several years ago, I have been named beneficiary of life insurance policies, 401k, etc, but there is no will. My husband and I have agreed, in the event that he passes before I do, that I would become the beneficiary of everything. When I pass, I would split everything equally among the three children. I would like to know, in the event of my husband's passing, am I legally responsible for continuing child support of my step-daughter if she is under the age of 18? Also, can everything be left to me to supervise & divide equally among the children without my husband's ex-wife getting involved to claim more than a third for her daughter?

Please advise.

candg918

You and your husband both need wills. If he dies intestate (without a will), his estate distribution will decided by law -and it is unlikely to be what you have described.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">