• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Will rights for grandchildren of a deceased parent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linmarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My husband died 20 years ago leaving 3 children. His brother died 5 years ago leaving 2 children. They have one remaining brother that has 2 children.
My husband's mother..their grandmother is redoing her Will. She plans to give each of the children something. However, I thought that the Will is suppose to be divided by 3 and then that share divided by the number of children? This is their right as children of the deceased parent. Please let me know if Maryland views this differently? I feel something isn't being told to me from my mother in law (the grandmother). Also, the grandmother is a widow.
Thank you so much for your help.

justalayman

in a will, the testator can divide their property up any way they choose. The do not have to leave any particular person anything let alone an equal share as you suggest.

anteater

Just an addition...

You may be thinking about how the estate would be distributed if grandmother died without a will.

Banned_Princess

Its kinda the point of a will to leave assets in the manner you desire, not to give everyone something equal. if you wanted that estate division (according to the rules of the state) then you wouldn't bother writing and having paid to have it filed with the state. You would just die, and let surviviors fight over the estate.

anteater

if you wanted that estate division (according to the rules of the state) then you wouldn't bother writing and having paid to have it filed with the state. You would just die, and let surviviors fight over the estate.
Will or no will, the legal process to administer an estate and distribute the remaining assets is probate. The court costs and other fees are related to the probate process, whether there is a will or there isn't.

Survivors can fight just as much when there is a will as when there isn't. And, actually, there may be more fighting when there is a will. When there is no will, there are the state's intestate succession statutes - pretty cut and dry, end of story stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">