• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability of Heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

worriedone

My father-in-law died 8/99. My brother-in-law is executor, but has not dealt with this responsibility. The will has not yet been through probate, there is a lien against the house, interest and penalties are accumulating, etc. If the sale of the house (not yet started) does not cover outstanding bills (quite possible), can the executor be held personally liable for monies owed? Can the heirs (6 children; will states equal distribution)? Thanks.

ALawyer

If a named executor does not perform the duties any other heir may petition the court to be appointed.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

W

worriedone

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
If a named executor does not perform the duties any other heir may petition the court to be appointed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am aware of that option, but my specific concern is whether my husband, as an heir to the estate, could be held financially liable for any outstanding bills against the estate. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">