• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability of Moms Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rella40

i am from new york. mom has a companion of 15 years. they have a joint account. she is the primary card holder of all there credit cards. mom is half owner of my house with joint survivorship. my mom is terminally ill, with days left to live. she has no will. her bank accounts are joint with different people named and some are in trust for. her companion takes care of all the bills right now because of her condition, therefore he takes her mail. am i liable for anything he does after her death, such as, accumulate debt on her credit card. also, he recently got into a car accident, moms car, moms insurance and registration. i'm sure her insurance policy carries enough liability, but can they go after her assets after her death. please tell me how to deal with her companion, as far as her mail and affairs go after her death.

thank you

ALawyer

First, her companion is, like you, under stress and will be grieving. They may not be married but if there is a long term companion, it's much the same.

I suggest that you get a lawyer NOW in Mom's area to help you and really answer your questions. SOMETIMES there are things that can be done BEFORE the death, as well as after. Exactly what depends on the facts, circmstances and state. For example, if the estate would be is over $675k, get gifts of $10k per person made NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">