• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ironwoman37

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
How does a life estate affect the sale of a property?
I am a buyer that has made an offer on a property and just found out about the life estate. Help please.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ironwoman37 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
How does a life estate affect the sale of a property?
I am a buyer that has made an offer on a property and just found out about the life estate. Help please.:confused:

My response:

The "Life Tenant" has a "de facto" ownership interest in the real estate until death. While the "Life Tenant" does not have "fee simple" ownership of the real estate, the life tenancy gives the life tenant "control" over the real estate during his/her lifetime.

Suffice it to say, a "Life Tenancy" can put the "kybosh" on any sale of the real estate, unless the life tenant waives his/her rights to the real estate, OR you don't mind owning property that you can't move into; e.g., you can buy it for investment purposes, but that's about it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">