• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate on deeded property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1ofakind

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My sister and I had a house deeded to us by our father. His wife, our stepmother, was given a life estate in the house. We understand that for us to sell the house, she has to grant us permission which she has. My question is does she profit from the sale and if so, how much?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

1ofakind said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

My sister and I had a house deeded to us by our father. His wife, our stepmother, was given a life estate in the house. We understand that for us to sell the house, she has to grant us permission which she has. My question is does she profit from the sale and if so, how much?

Thanks!
Legally no she does not. Morally? Well that's up to you. She could have said no and stayed in the home until she died. Hence the term life estate.

So, what was it worth to you and your sister to realize the profit now?

Just fodder for thought.

BelizeBreeze

1ofakind said:
Thanks for your reply. She doesn't live in the house in question.

Does that change your response?
If she does not live in the house then she has effectively abandonned the life estate. but no, that does not change my answer. Legally, a life estate does NOT convey ownership interest. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">