• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brismema

My exhusband recently passed away. I learned after his death that he had never taken out a $200,000 life insurance policy in my son's name as required per our divorce agreement. His estate is debt only except for a life insurance policy that he left for his current wife...$160,000. Do I have a legal right to claim this money for my son?

ALawyer

This is tricky. You'll need a local lawyer to tell you based on the language of the decree, your state's law and the source of funds. But there is an old rule of thumb -- you can't get money out of a stone. Your failure to monitor the decree and assure there was a policy in force may mean your sol is out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">