• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kam1963

What is the name of your state?
Florida
My son and I have been listed as beneficiaries of a (living trust) of the property (life estate) in which we have lived since 1999. My grandmother died in 2001. The trustee, my mother, has allowed the house to be sold and has said that the proceeds will be distributed to myself and my son. Being that the market is very slow in Florida currently, my mother said that she would just sign the house over to me, but then four weeks later she tells me that her attorney says this can't happen and the proceeds can only be distibuted when the house sells. My husband and I have now offered to purchase the house for a reasonable sale price since the money is supposedly going to be redistributed back to myself and my son anyhow. There is no mortgage on the house, there never was as my grandmother had this house built for us. We have it on the market for $229,000 which is well below market value. She is now saying we need to check with an attorney to see if this is even possible for us to do. She also says there would capital gains taxes to be paid, by whom I don't know. Then she says she thought she asked about doing a quit claim deed but didn't think this could be done either. Then she says she would sell it to me for a dollar! I'm not sure what to do and what my next course of action should be. By the way, she did send me certain pages of the trust, but there were several pages missing and I was told this was all the information I needed to see. Hope you can help.

Dandy Don

Since a life estate gives you the right to live there for your entire life, it is very odd that trustee is trying to sell this property beforehand--this may be illegal or improper, and it's hard to figure out what her motivation for doing this is--she may be ignorant of the law and what a life estate means, or she may be trying to get more money for the trust from this sale.

You need to be consulting a trust attorney to find out your rights as a beneficiary and ask if the home can be sold even though there is a life estate. If it can be done, then use the situation to your advantage and buy it if she is willing to offer it to you for a low sale price and/or with a quitclaim deed.

Then after you have purchased it, six or 10 months down the line, get your trust attorney to send the trustee a certified letter asking for a copy of the ENTIRE trust so you can see what information is being withheld from you. Most states allow beneficiaries to get a copy of the trust.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">