• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pixelrogue1

State: PA

Hello everyone. I typed out a rather long Living Trust from a rather standard template popular here in PA. While I am comfortable continuing the research, doing the leg work etc, I am here to ask "Is a lawyer actually needed?" Can this be done by a layman? If a lawyer is needed, could I bring the completed paperwork and just have the lawyer execute making the Living Trust real?

adjusterjack

State: PA

Hello everyone. I typed out a rather long Living Trust from a rather standard template popular here in PA. While I am comfortable continuing the research, doing the leg work etc, I am here to ask "Is a lawyer actually needed?"
No.

People are allowed to do their own legal work as long as they are willing to accept the consequences or, in your case, leave the consequences to your heirs.

Can this be done by a layman?
Obviously, since you already appear to have done it.

If a lawyer is needed, could I bring the completed paperwork and just have the lawyer execute making the Living Trust real?
That would be up to the lawyer. You can call around and ask.

TrustUser

it would seem like the answer to the 3rd question is moot, since the proposition (if a lawyer is needed) was already correctly answered that a lawyer is not needed.

there is nothing to "execute"

it needs to be notarized to be a legal document

after that, the trust simply owns anything that is actually titled to it

a common mistake made by people drawing up their own trust documents

a drawn up trust document means nothing until specific steps are taken to give ownership of an asset to that trust

for example, in real estate, a deed of some sort that deeds a property to the trust

a bank account in which the title of the bank account is the trust, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">