• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living trust for 92 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesse1

Michigan

I am setting up a living trust for my 92 year old father-in-law. The only asset that will be funding the trust is his home. The trust has him as the grantor and trustee. When we register the home in the trust, will he lose the homestead property tax deduction since he technically no longer owns the home? Would the same hold true if he was the grantor and I was the trustee?

S

seniorjudge

jesse1 said:
Michigan

I am setting up a living trust for my 92 year old father-in-law. The only asset that will be funding the trust is his home. The trust has him as the grantor and trustee. When we register the home in the trust, will he lose the homestead property tax deduction since he technically no longer owns the home? Would the same hold true if he was the grantor and I was the trustee?
You really need to check with a Michigan tax professional because I do not know how that law is written.

However, when FIL grants the land to someone else, he is no longer the owner so may not be able to claim this tax deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">