• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust vs. Simple Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyBoy

What is the name of your state? AZ

I am an elderly, divorced man. I have a mature daughter and grandchildren. Roughly, my possessions include: house, car, brokerage account, bank accounts, and miscellaneous (old, basic furniture; handyman tools; etc.). Both my house and car are in my name only but my brokerage account and bank accounts both carry the name of my daughter (TOD, ITF, resp.). If I were to add my daughter's name to both my house and car titles, leaving only misc. property of relatively little value solely in my name. would there be any justification for going to the trouble & expense of setting up a Living Trust? My house, purchased 30 yrs. ago for $40k, is now worth approx. $225k. The total value of my entire estate is well under the $2 mil. inheritance limit now in effect. TIA.

tranquility

It would be better for *both* your daughter and for you to use a trust. Giving away your home is a bad idea. (Unless you are trying to qualify for a low-asset program some years in the future.) You may need the money from a reverse mortgage, she may want the step-up in basis on your death.

It's good you want to avoid probate, but do it through a trust and not through gifting and retitling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">