• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major Succession Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lchowns

Hi. This is VERY complex, so I hope someone can help. My grandmother was married to her second husband when he died (intestate) in 1989. He had 2 children and she had 5 children from other marriages. When he died they had a home, cd's, cash, truck, personal prop., share accounts, etc. that totalled in value $133,000. His children wanted his half but by LA law she had usufruct (use of) rights. They signed a "compromise agreement' to get their one half upon her death, but it was frozen in the bank and could not go under $44000. It started out 60k but it had something to do with depreciation that left the 44k. Ok, my grandmother died Oct. 6 of this year and on Oct 8, they went to the back and withdrew the 44k. The only thing left after 12 years and her being in a nursing home for 10 of those years, is the house. I have lived in the house now for 6 years, and want to buy it. A title search was done and found that the deed is still listed in their name. His children never finished his succession and now the lawyer says they may be entitled to half of what the house sells for. When the came up with the total for the agreement the house was appraised and depreciated by 5 years and they got 15k for his half. That was part of the 44k. Are they entitled to anything at this point or is it just her children now that can sell the house and get the proceeds? HELP!!!
Louisiana is the state I live in.....Sorry this was SO long...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">