• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital property taxes, taxes filed jointly and utility bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

facialex

Massachusetts probate
Does taxes on marital property, taxes filed jointly and marital utility bills get filed in probate on the deceased first and final account?

anteater

If the wife now owns the property, why would the husband's estate pay property-related bills?

Is someone saying something different?

facialex

it is saying that the taxes on the home were due one year prior to the husband' death and the income taxes were due two years prior to the husband's death.

anteater

it is saying that the taxes on the home were due one year prior to the husband' death and the income taxes were due two years prior to the husband's death.
Who or what is "it"?

Maybe if you actually explained the situation, someone here would offer advice. (But, it won't be me!)

curb1

facialex,

If the house was jointly owned (as you indicate), the spouse is responsible for the taxes.

The husband and wife are responsible for the taxes prior to the husband's death in most situations. When husband dies, wife becomes responsible for their joint taxes before husband died.

You have not given us much information to work with, so this advice could be totally invalid.

facialex

Thanks for all your help. I will try to restate my question.

A couple lives in MA, their martial home which they both live in and ownership is in both their names. The husband dies in 2003. However, there is real estate taxes due on the house they own together for FYE 2002 due at death and overdue personal State & Ferderal taxes filed jointly together due since 2001. When filing a First and Final Account on the husdand's estate, is the husband's estate responsible for the unpaid taxes or is the surving spouse responsible for the unpaid taxes.

Hope this clears up my question, thanks in advance

curb1

The answer: "the surving spouse (is) responsible for the unpaid taxes".

Is there someone in disagreement?

facialex

Thank you sooo much

no one disaggree... but several inquires was not clear to what my questions was asking.

Thanks Again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">