• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marry before or after the House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susanlarry

My fiancee and I plan on building a house in the near future (within 1 year). I alone already own the land that the house would be built on.
We plan on marrying AFTER the house is built. But now I wonder if that would be a good idea. Should we get married before we get the contruction loan/mortgage for legal reasons?
What would the legal ramifications of marrying after we get the loan?
In other words... Should we get married before or after the Mortgage?

Thank You,
Susan Larry
Nashua, NH

ALawyer

If you both have good credit, it generally does not matter, although some banks are very conventional and think marriage is a big plus factor.

If he has bad credit, it may make getting a mortgage more difficult if you get married first, as this way you can do it on your own relying on your credit - if your income qualifies.

What you should both think about is a Pre-Martital Agreement, so look at the Family Law - Pre-Marital Agreement section of FreeAdvice.com
http://family-law.freeadvice.com/pre_marital_agreement/
to get some appreciation of the issues.

S

susanlarry

Alawyer:
Thank You very much for your reply... I've just thought of something else that goes along with my first posting...If we get married after the mortgage, would it be expensive to have the deed changed to reflect my new married name? Would this involve a Laywer?
Thank You,
Susan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">