• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Me vs. My step mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdquince

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

My step mother has been married to my father for over 8 years now and every time he goes to file for divorce she begs him not to and buys him a nice couch or a big screen tv or do something to make him change his mind. he told me that she may get the house if he divorces her now or if he dies. the house was paid for before she ever came into the picture and the house will mine in the will but that was 8 years ago now he is saying not to worry about that house I'll leave you with enough money to buy your own house but she is juicy him of all his money as well. can she get the house if something happens to my father before 10 years? I know after 10 years she gets the house and half of his pension and ssd. but right about right now??

FlyingRon

Nothing is 'yours' until your father is dead and the will is probated.
You don't get a say in how your father conducts his life until then and whether there remains anything to inherit.

Dandy Don

Ask dad if his attorney has the will for safekeeping and what happens if his wife decides not to probate it, and ask him exactly what does the will specify that she will get and ask him if an attorney has helped him prepare the will to make sure it is legally correct and who the witnesses are.

Country Living

I'm not familiar with Michigan - step-mom may have homestead rights when dad passes.

It's pretty sad you're more concerned about your sense of entitlement than your father's health, happiness, and well-being. As Ann Landers always said: "MYOB".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">