• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid Lookback periods.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warren55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
My siblings and I were parteners in a L.L.C. for a farm where we grew up.
My mother was also a partner. In January of 1999 my siblings and I had an appraisal done to determine the value of the farm. It was valued at 285,000.
My mom's share of that value was 41.6% -118,560. At that time the partners divided mom's share among ourselves. This was done on the advice and planning of an Estate Planning attourney. In March of 2003 my mother went into a care facility. She was paying for this through Social Security and Medicaid. My mother passed away in February of 2008. Now the State of Iowa is coming to the partners and asking for reimbursment for the funds paid to my mother. They are saying that because of the 5 year lookback period they are allowed to do this. My guestion is are they allowed to do this, because it is my understanding that at the time the shares of the L.L.C. were distributed the lookback period was only 3 years.

anteater

Without being an expert in this area, and certainly not in how Iowa administers the program, I don't want to sound too certain. But I agree with you. My understanding is that the 5 year lookback went into effect February 2006, with some leeway for states that had to revise their laws to conform with the federal law.

There's either some mistake or Iowa is fishing for dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">