• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glendonray

I live in Michigan. My husband passed away leaving high medical bills. Am I liable for this debt?

A

advisor10

MAY 9, 2001

DEAR GLENDONRAY:

You really do need to speak with a local attorney in your area to get a definitive answer to your question.

Under normal circumstances, it is possible that you might not be liable. Are you saying that there are no other assets in your husband's estate that could pay these bills (no life insurance, no health insurance, no pension benefits or other employee benefits)? If that is true, then the estate will essentially be bankrupt and the medical bills will go unpaid.

Please check with an attorney to find out if the creditors could file a lien against your home (if it is already paid for), so that you can take steps to protect yourself.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">