• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Incompetency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aaiou

What is the name of your state? North Carolina.In May of 2002 my mother was declared mentally incompetent.She was living at an assisted living facility,but was very hostile about her situation.A nosy neighbor took her to an unscrupulous attorney that filed petition to restore competency and was sucessful.He was also sucessful in taking 15,000 dollars from mom in the process.She was restored to competency by the Iredell County Clerk of Court with no medical testimony saying that her condition had improved.Competency was restored in November of 2002 and mom has lived by herself since that time.She has recently sold 10.8 acres of land for the paltry sum of 15,000 dollars.My sister and I(the only heirs) believe the land to be worth 50 to 60,000 dollars and believe that un fair advantage was taken.Mom doesn't realize that she paid her attorney that much(she thinks she paid him 1500 dollars).We would like to punish the attorney that took her for 15 grand,we would also like to punish the man that bought land from her.We hate the thought of dragging mom through another competency hearing,but realize that may be our only option.What is a sane plan of action?No two attorneys are telling us the same thing.Help!

ALawyer

My sense is that really depends on the reputation of the lawyer who was involved in the original comptency hearing and whether he was also involved in the land sale. If that lawyer is regarded as an honorable person by the legal community -- such as the judge in the local court -- especially if there is no involvement with the land deal, his activities are likely to pass muster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">