• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mentally challenged girl gets inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmrygo

Ontario - Canada
My mentally challenged sister has been named a beneficiary of her father's estate - not left in trust. Although the amounts have yet to be totalled, it appears that it will exceed the $5000 limit that she is allowed to have without it affecting her disablity pension. She does live independantly with a social worker that oversees her on a weekly basis, but certainly would not have the capacity to handle a substantial amount of money & could easliy be taken advantage of. What, if anything, could I do to a) make sure no one talks her into "loaning" them money or "investing" with them b) could we buy her a little house to live in & it be in her name c) not have her monthly pension payments interrupted and give her a little of the inheritance at a time. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

rmet4nzkx said:
This site is for US laws only. Please contact a probate attorney who can assist in Canadian law.
Okay, I don't usually do this for foreigners, but let me say, "Please contact a probate attorney who can assist in Canadian law IMMEDIATELY."

Dandy Don

Talk to the trust department of a local bank. They can set up the account with whomever she or you would choose to be trustee (you can serve as trustee if you wish, or a bank department trust professional could also serve in that capacity) and this would be a fairly easy way to manage the money.

S

seniorjudge

Dandy Don said:
Talk to the trust department of a local bank. They can set up the account with whomever she or you would choose to be trustee (you can serve as trustee if you wish, or a bank department trust professional could also serve in that capacity) and this would be a fairly easy way to manage the money.
Do you know Canadian law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">