• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally Ill mother willed a lot of money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avenue_d

What is the name of your state? Texas
Grandfather's will was written in Ohio.

Hello,
I am very new to all of this and I need help in beginning with step 1.

My grandfather recently passed away and left a large sum of money to my mentally ill and alcoholic mother. My aunts tried to convince him before he died to set up some sort of trust since they all know her medical history and mental state, but he did not. Now my brothers and sisters and I do not know what to do. She inherited a large sum of money a few years ago from another relative and spent almost all of it, she also has not paid taxes for that inheritance so now that money has stopped coming to her.
Anyway, my aunts and uncle keep telling us that we need to get the power of attorney and/or some sort of legal guardian to safeguard her new inheritance. How do we do this? How can we set up some sort of trust fund for her? Who do we call? Is this legal? We would like to use the money to get her GOOD quality mental healthcare since the state hospitals,etc. have done a very poor job at helping her get well. We have no personal interest in her inheritance, we just do not want to see her blow it.
Advice NEEDED! thanks a lot.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: How do we do this?

A: Hire a lawyer to sue ma; you want to set up a guardianship/conservatorship if you think she is incompetent.

Dandy Don

A family law attorney can advise you about a guardianship, whether someone in the family wants to do it or delegate that responsibility to another professional, experienced party who specializes in health care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">